How did the Tylers get their land?
In the late 1700s it was common for settlers to acquire or get land by treasury warrant or military warrant. Although Edward Tyler II did not serve in the military during the American revolution, he aided in the revolutionary war effort by contributing wood planks, flour, and courier service to the army of George Rogers Clark. He was later paid for the supplies by the state of Virginia. He got his land by purchasing a treasury warrant, which entitled him to establish claim to the stated number of acres by having the area surveyed with a transit and measuring chain, after which he received his land grant. The land grant was his proof of ownership. It did not mean the land had been given to him as the word grant seems to imply. Men who receive a military warrant, however, were given the warrant for their military service. There was no difference in the grants, just in the way they received their warrants. Moses had been settled at blackacre for several years before the land was transferred to him. This occurred in 1794 when Edward Tyler II transferred 412 acres to his son, William, who immediately (on the same day) transfer 200 of those acres to Moses. The land was part of Edward II’s 1,000 acre property. In 1793, Edward II had transferred 300 acres to Edward III. This was the same section of the thousand acres on which Edward the second was living. Before that in 1789, Edward II had sold 200 acres to his nephew, Robert Tyler. Therefore, William and Moses were the last to receive their homesteads from Edward II and with his transfer of property, little or nothing remained of the original 1,000 acres in Edwards II’s name. No further sales of the land are recorded from
Edward II. The nearly 100-acre discrepancy was probably due to inaccuracies in surveying techniques in that day.