Who settled Blackacre?
In 1780 the Tylers floated down the Ohio River from Fort Redstone, which is now the town of Brownsville, Pennsylvania. They were part of the flood of early settlers who came west looking for a better life.
The Tylers settled near the Falls of the Ohio in what eventually became downtown Louisville. In 1784, Moses’ father, Edward, owned and operated a tavern on Main Street while part of the family continued the process of putting down roots about a day’s ride to the east. Edward and Nancy Tyler had six daughters: Delilah, Elizabeth, Ann, Mary, Eleanor, and Priscilla. They also had four sons: Robert, Moses, William, and Edward III and a nephew, Robert Tyler.
The three surviving historic Tyler farmsteads (including Blackacre) are on the north side of Taylorsville Road, about 18 miles east of downtown Louisville; two farmsteads are on the west side of Tucker Station Road and the other is on the east side. (The fourth Tyler family farmstead is now a subdivision on the south side of Taylorsville Road near Old Heady Road.)
The surviving Tyler farms are about a half mile from one another. Nobody knows for sure whether this even-distanced arrangement was just a coincidence or whether it was planned. Chances are it was planned so the Tylers could communicate easily by ringing a bell or even shouting. It wasn’t unusual in the 1700s and 1800s for farm families to build close to one another.
Blackacre was the home of Moses and Phoebe Tyler and their 10 sons. This book tells the story of the natural and cultural history of this land.